Silent Fools

Proverbs 17:28 Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:13 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:37 pm 

I know everyone runs their pillages in slightly different ways, but I thought I'd share some thoughts about successful XO'ing/ pillage organization.

1. F. U. N. is the key to a successfull pillage, and the key to obtaining new mates, hearties and/or the reputation of a good crew to pillage with.

I'm sure everyone here with experience will occassionally click on the voyage tab, and see a crew name or two and think: "No way i'm going out with them! They were RUDE, INEPT, (fill in own unhappy adjective) etc.

So, the XO's primary job is to keep the ship running, and try to help people have fun while doing it.

DO'S AND DONT'S (unorganized group of ideas, lol)

1. Find out what specifically your bnaver wants you to do. One example: before ye just click that 'hire' button, /tell lepi "did ye want me to handle jobbers? Are total greenies okay, or is this a tougher route?.

He may like a lengthy teaming explanation before leaving port, he may want a message ready for each battle at the grapple. Just communicate with yer bnaver some, you'll learn him/her before long.

2. Try to get sails filled first. Nothing worse then running out of moves in battle. Example, a brig with no damage can easily survive with 3 carpers and 2 bilgers. Don't let 6 people carp if only 5 are on sails.

3. Say please and thank you. It's more work, but its worth it. Actually, thats one of the points of having an XO. Someone to facilitate a smoother /happier pillage. Any b-naver could go 'sans' XO, and just whistle people.

4. Try not to do too much shuffling. Some people HATE to be bounced back and forth. At first make a public plea. Example: We have those 6 carpers and only 5 sailors. Say: Sorry carpers, but we need 2 or 3 of ye to sail. Who will go please? If no response, start sending the whistle. But don't bounce the guy that just had top incredible carp at the last LP lol.

5. Lazers. Usually, they are the few, not the many. Rather than do a general thing like 'STATIONS NOW MATES!', call them out by name. That way, its no suprise to the rest of the people on ship if they ride the plank :-). ie. "Edhoeggr, need ye to station on sails or carp please" or "Ed, collfive, collthirteen, need ye to station mates" "ed .. going once! pause ed.. going twice! .. pause eds .. in the water! plank!" hehe and now its fun for everyone.

If there ARE a bunch of people lazing, its always best to shout something lighthearted rather then being mean. One of my favorites is, "I LOVE YE ALL MATES, BUT IF YE DON'T STATION I'LL FEED YE TO THE SHARKS HARRRR"

6. Send compliments. Recognize by name people that have gotten an incredible (not EVERYTIME they do, lol, but good to see a few peoples names out there) "Great work Incredible sailors Lepi, Virus and Coffee!!!"

7. Don't put up with jobbers that are disruptive and mean. A public rebuke, and they usually leave on their own. If they correct themselves and work ,fine, but they just get the one chance. After that its a plankin'. As a matter of fact, as XO, I handle most things publically, and stay away from tons of private tells. You may answers someone elses question by going that route.

8. Answer greenie questions publically and kindly. LOL we were all greenies once. Q. "Can we port?" A. Sorry matey, more battles to do. The more consecutive battles we win, the more poe we make with each battle. Don't worry though, if ye have to leave before port, ye'll still be paid.

9. Make sure to keep a careful aye on the duty reports. Don't let people continually booch a station. Yer the right hand man/women! Try to know whats going on around the ship. Take a walk through once in awhile and look for those that may be zzzzzzzzzzz'ing.

Finally, have fun! Yer almost like a game show host at the XO position.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:23 pm 

Great guide. Couldn't agree with any of this more. Thanks Lepi!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:46 pm 

Aye mate a great guide..*I love Xoing and always have in mind the fact that people who have fun and are respected and thanked for thier work will either come back(giving us great jobbers) or join the crew both of which are good fer us as a crew :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:16 pm 

lepi - this was awesome!! i enjoy XOing for you so much and having feedback from you is always helpful.

it is awesome to have all this written down for periodic refereshing of this old girl's mind :wink:

i cant wait to work with you again soon :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:46 pm 

As a shout to get people working i lke to use "this is a working vessel not a cruise liner so please find a station" also i find Quartermaster to be a useful tool for Xo'ing as you can have some messages.like ya teaming message in an instant it is availiable at YPP just search for it and a download is availiable

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:31 pm 

great tips :D