Silent Fools

Proverbs 17:28 Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:10 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Ultimate Carping
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:46 pm 

Besides B-nav, carp is proly me best puzzle. Here are a few things I concentrate on doing.

1. Strive to place pieces quickly! Not so quick that ye booch and stuff, but the faster ye can finish the puzzles, the better.

2. Learn which pieces show up most frequently. Focusing on finishing a puzzle with the most common piece (ie especially the fat short boxy piece) is a good strategy.

3. Work from the outside in, trying to make yer open space 'smooth' as oppossed to ragged and all over the place.

4. Place the toughest pieces as soon as ye can. Once again, not to the point of booching, but if I've got 2 of the fat common boxy pieces, and the cross piecei'm going to get rid of the cross piece as quick as I can, and save the good common piece for finishing up.

5. Try to 'see' finishing combinations of 2 pieces. Then, when ye get 1 of those 2 pieces WAIT! Wait wait wait! Don't place it right away, save the one and keep working the other slots until either a. the 2nd piece comes or b. yer puzzle is shaking, then place that first piece and it will give ye more time for the 2nd piece to show up.

Thats all for now! Hopefully the other ULT's will chime in with some advise on this one as well