Silent Fools

Proverbs 17:28 Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:14 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:09 pm 

Spades Tournament – Rules

1. The sign-up period shall last for a week from this post. Any late entries will be at the organiser’s discretion.

2. The entry fee for this tournament will be six doubloons (or poe equivalent) per pair.

3. The format for this tournament will be to choose your own partner. I'd prefer that all players are from within the flag if possible, however I am happy to make exceptions as and when to allow for everyone to play and also as it makes more poe for the flag heh. At least one player from each pair must be a flaggie however.

4. To sign-up, one (or both) partner/s can private message me here, post in the thread or send me a /tell in-game, saying they wish to enter and confirming who their partner will be. If you don't have a partner, you can enter anyway (entry will be three doubloons) and I will do my best to match up everyone with a partner.

5. There will be a deadline imposed for when matches must be played by, this will be decided once I know how many pairs there are.

6. Once sign-up is closed, an order of play will be drawn up. Depending on the number of pairs, this may either be sectioned or (more likely) a straight round-robin format. All pairs must play all other pairs in their section/the group.

7. Games will be best of three. The game specifics are up to the players to decide; in the event that an agreement cannot be reached the default will be best of three to 300 points.

8. In the interests of fair play, games should be played with the assistance of a supervisor. Sweetbreeze and I will both be available to supervise; if anyone else who is not participating would be willing to volunteer to watch a couple of games that'd be appreciated.

9. Following the game, one member of each pair is required to let me know the result (including the actual points scores so please, please make sure you copy them after each game), again either via the forums or in-game.

10. Winning pairs will be awarded a point, losing pairs none.

11. The winners of the tournament will be the pair with the most points when all matches have been played. In the event of a tie between two pairs, the winners of their match will be the overall winners. If there is still no winning pair, a countback of points will determine the winners. (Please note - if there are two groups, the winning pair from each group will play a final match in the same format to determine the winners).

12. Clearly, there may be times when a player is unavailable for some reason. To provide for this, each pair has one ‘replacement token’ they may play. If they chose to use it, they are allowed to replace one member of the pair with another player for the duration of one match. The replacement may be from inside or outside the flag but they will not be eligible for any prizes and must not have a spades rating higher than the person they are replacing. They also cannot be competing themselves and may only be a replacement player for one pair. If you are planning to use this option, please let me know before the match and also the name of the replacement.

13. Prizes! The winning pair will receive a proportion of all the entry doubloons plus a medal each and some smaller items. They will also each win a ticket for the crew ‘Booty or No Booty’ to be held a little later in the year (for anyone who is unsure, check out this link http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Booty_or_no_booty) with the chance to win some great prizes including poe, clothes, trinkets and even ships (sorry, I don't have any familiars heh)! The runners-up will also receive some smaller prizes.

Super Spades Information

Contents:
Listing of pairs
Copy of the rules
Table
Match numbers
Sample score sheets

Pairs Listing:

1. Nidhoeggr and Tigerfish
2. Kissoo and Dawn
3. Shanexxl and Tasas*
4. Tesing and Bananapple
5. Sabnoleg and Minalesca
6. Domthepirate and Coffeegirl
7. Kimikazi and Gorbatchef
8. Joyboy and Daddisgirl
9. Orton and Hildebrand
10. Agnute and Alfwyn

*Please note there is currently a little uncertainty about whether or not Tasas will be available to participate. If not, Sweetbreeze will be standing in as a replacement.

Relevant Rules

1. Games will be the best of three. The game specifics are up to the players to decide; in the event that an agreement cannot be reached the default will be best of three to 300 points.

2. In the interests of fair play, games should be played with the assistance of a supervisor. Sweetbreeze (regardless of her participation or otherwise) and I will both be available to supervise; if both pairs are happy with another player as supervisor then that is also fine. I hope I don’t have to remind anyone that any type of cheating using chat channels etc. is unacceptable and anyone caught will be disqualified and reported.

3. Following the game, one member of each pair is required to let me know the result (including the actual points scores so please, please make sure you copy them after each game, see below for format), again either via the forums or in-game. This is obviously unnecessary if I’m supervising Wink Scores will be posted to the forum and I am also hoping to be able to upload a copy of the table onto photobucket so people without forum privileges have access to an updated copy also.

4. Winning pairs will be awarded a point, losing pairs none.

5. The winners of the tournament will be the pair with the most points when all matches have been played. In the event of a tie between two pairs, the winners of their match will be the overall winners. If there is still no winning pair, a count back of points will determine the winners (scores will be adjusted to reflect any differences in the points played to).

6. Clearly, there may be times when a player is unavailable for some reason. To provide for this, each pair has one ‘replacement token’ they may play. If they chose to use it, they are allowed to replace one member of the pair with another player for the duration of one match. The replacement may be from inside or outside the flag but they will not be eligible for any prizes and must not have a spades rating higher than the person they are replacing. They also cannot be competing themselves and may only be a replacement player for one pair. If you are planning to use this option, please let me know before the match and also the name of the replacement.

7. Ideally, all matches should be completed within a month of the start date (thus by March 20th). For anyone without a parlour badge, this should currently allow for 8 free days of spades. A link to the free days table can be found here: http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Main_Page

8. Any problems, questions, etc. please spam Sweet with chat, tells, etc.
I mean, err, ask me.... obviously. Shocked
Above all, enjoy yourself!

Match Numbers

Nidhoeggr & Tigerfish v:
1. Kissoo & Dawn
2. Shanexxl & Tasas
3. Tesing & Bananapple
4. Sabnoleg & Minalesca
5. Domthepirate & Coffeegirl
6. Kimikazi & Gorbatchef
7. Joyboy & Daddisgirl
8. Orton & Hildebrand
9. Agnute & Alfwyn

Kissoo & Dawn v:
10. Shanexxl & Tasas
11. Tesing & Bananapple
12. Sabnoleg & Minalesca
13. Domthepirate & Coffeegirl
14. Kimikazi & Gorbatchef
15. Joyboy & Daddisgirl
16. Orton & Hildebrand
17. Agnute & Alfwyn

Shanexxl & Tasas v:
18. Tesing & Bananapple
19. Sabnoleg & Minalesca
20. Domthepirate & Coffeegirl
21. Kimikazi & Gorbatchef
22. Joyboy & Daddisgirl
23. Orton & Hildebrand
24. Agnute & Alfwyn

Tesing & Bananapple v:
25. Sabnoleg & Minalesca
26. Domthepirate & Coffeegirl
27. Kimikazi & Gorbatchef
28. Joyboy & Daddisgirl
29. Orton & Hildebrand
30. Agnute & Alfwyn

Sabnoleg & Minalesca v:
31. Domthepirate & Coffeegirl
32. Kimikazi & Gorbatchef
33. Joyboy & Daddisgirl
34. Orton & Hildebrand
35. Agnute & Alfwyn

Domthepirate & Coffeegirl v:
36. Kimikazi & Gorbatchef
37. Joyboy & Daddisgirl
38. Orton & Hildebrand
39. Agnute & Alfwyn

Kimikazi & Gorbatchef v:
40. Joyboy & Daddisgirl
41. Orton & Hildebrand
42. Agnute & Alfwyn

Joyboy & Daddisgirl v:
43. Orton & Hildebrand
44. Agnute & Alfwyn

Orton & Hildebrand v:
45. Agnute & Alfwyn

Sample Score Sheet

Please return scores in the following format:

Match Number…………………
……………………………………… v …………………………………….
(always put the lower numbered pair in the table first, so Kissoo & Dawn v Domthepirate & Coffeegirl, etc.)

Winners………………………………………………………………………

Game scores:
1. ………../………….
2. ………../………….
3. ………../………….

Supervisor ……………………………………………..

So it would read:

Match Number 608
Rachaelj & Sweetbreeze v Tesing & Nidhoeggr
Winners: Rachaelj & Sweetbreeze (harrrr)
Game scores:
1. 325/72
2. 299/301
3. 389/25 (haha)
Supervisor Rachaeljj (hmmz)

For clarification purposes:

1) There is a number for each match to be played; matches are numbered only to make it easier for me to know which have been completed.

2) Every pair is to play all other pairs. It doesn't matter in what order.
3) I haven't yet placed any strict deadlines in regards to time. However, it is expected that people will try and actively complete their matches within a sensible timeframe. If, for example, a pair has not played any matches for a fortnight (and has not let me know if they have a reason, eg on holiday, etc) I will reserve the right to remove them so as to not allow the competition to drag on unnecessarily. If you will be unavailable for a while, please just let me know.

Results:

Match 3
Tesing/Bananapple v Nidhoeggr/Tigerfish
Winners - Tes/Ban
299/163 and 310/307

Match 9
Nid/Tiger v Agnute/Alfwyn
Winners - Ag/Alf
301/152 and 312/130

Match 11
Kissoo/Dawn v Tesing/Bananapple
Winners - Tes/Ban
254/157 and 284/264

Match 13
Kissoo/Dawn v Dom/Coffee
Winners - Dom/Coffee
319/245 and 323/261

Match 27
Kimi/Gorby v Ban/Tes
Winners - who knows
326/276

Match 31
Sab/Opiate v Dom/Coffee
Winners - Sab/Opi
318/112 and 324/141

Match 41
Kimi/Gorby v Hilde/Orton
Winners - Kimi/Gorby
324/240 and 315/185

Match 35
Sabnoleg/Opiate v Agnute/Alfwyn
Winners - Sab/Opi
63/346, 307/201 and 305/65

Match 25
Tesing/Bananapple v Sabnoleg/Minalesca
Winners - Sab/Mina
323/64, 227/324 and 305/270

If anyone doesn't wish to continue playing, please please let me know.
Remember though, there are prizes for everyone even if you don't win any games.
There are no present time restrictions, but I'd like to be finished by the end of April at the absolute latest.
Thus, if even one person wishes to stop playing please tell me as I can currently replace them. If anyone has a partner who wishes to drop out,
they can also find a replacement themselves so long as that person is of no higher standing than the person being replaced.
Also, don't forget that you can use a sub for two matches.

*NEW* I have some more results to add in to the table shortly.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:18 pm 

Match 1
Kissoo/Dawn v Tigerfish/Nid
Winners Tiger/Nid
305/4
348/-135

Match 8
Tiger/Nid v Orton/Hilde
Winners Tiger/Nid
7/339
302/231
303/268