Silent Fools

Proverbs 17:28 Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:21 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Promotion Requirements
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:19 am 

I don't think that promotions should be based completely on stats OR experience. I think that both stats and experience should be a factor, but knowlege and trust should also be factors. Each position/ranking has certain responsibility which comes with it. If someone has demonstrated the ability to take on that responsibility, then they are probably ready for promotion.

Pirate: A pirate has free access to guns . So I think that to become a pirate, the person must have some reasonable experience and stat in guns - along with a start on each of the other duty puzzles. I'd also like to know that the person can follow orders when given. Also, pirate is the first step along the road to becoming an officer. For this reason, a player must demonstrate a willingness to learn and improve. Stat requirements of Broad/Distinguished in Sailing, Carpentry and Bilge will be necessary.

It is my opinion that any FO, SO or the Captain can accurately assess this and do this promotion. Please feel free to approach an FO, SO or the Captain in game for this promotion.

Officer: This is where it gets a bit more tricky. Officers have the ability to take a ship out. Therefore, an officer must understand the proper working of a ship (i.e. what stations do what, how they interact, porting, charting, booty divy, engaging, pvp basics). I would like to see that they have done some bnaving. I don't think they have to be good at bnav, as there are a lot of officers that never really bnav. But it is necessary to have at least tried it some with the navy. As with the pirate promotion, they must have demonstrated the ability to follow orders without question or complaining.

As long as two SOs or the Captain believe the pirate in question is officer ready, the promotion can be made. If you are already a pirate, and want to become an officer, please post in the promotion application thread of the forums. You may ask ONCE in game for someone to evaluate your application, then please be patient and wait. Your patience is a direct reflection of your trust and maturity and will go a long way in helping your case.

Fleet Officer: Fleet Officer have the added benefit of access to the hold on all unlocked ships. This means that a fleet officer must be someone that the crew seniors trust in the game. Any officer can make fleet officer once he or she has proven through time that they are trustworthy.

If you wishes to be promoted from officer to fleet officer, please post in the promotion application thread of the forums. You may ask ONCE in game for someone to evaluate your application, then please be patient and wait. Your patience is a direct reflection of your trust and maturity and will go a long way in helping your case.

Senior Officer: SOs are the Captain's most trusted mates. SOs are the people who the captain trusts to run the crew when he or she isn't there. They should have a basic understanding of ocean politics, and how our crew fits into the ocean at large. They should be people who can deal with conflict and diffuse situations which may arise. They also must be known and liked by the crew in general.

Promotions to SO will be based entirely on the Captain. However, if a current SO feels that an FO is ready for this, he or she can make that opinion known to the Captain, who will take an active role in evaluating the candidate.

In conclusion, you are responsible for making your own case for promotion. Please include any relevent information and puzzle pirates experience in your application post to the appropriate thread. Thank you for showing an interest in becoming the best player you can be!

-Brokenangel

EDIT: changed how promotions are asked for. They must now be applied for in the forums.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:00 am 
Site Admin

A little change to the promotion scheme is in effect now:

Promotions to officer and above are only done with previous consent
of the captain.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:49 pm 
Site Admin

Since there have been some questions what stats are expected for officer promotion I want to give some guidance here. Basically the stats should show that you know the puzzles and are doing ok in at least some of them.

In the basic duty puzzles Sailing, Carpentry, Bilging and Gunning every officer should have Broad experience and the average skill level should be Distinguished at least.

For the skills Swordfighting and Rumbling both skills should have Broad experience and at least one should be above able.

Narrow experience in Duty Navigation is expected and finally Broad experience in Battle Navigation.

You don't need to have your own ship to be officer here.
But even if all your stats meet those above requirements, this doesn't make you officer automatically. The higher officers and the captain have the last word if we feel you are ready to be officer yet.